Did you know you can clone a weed plant and create unlimited identical copies? Cloned weed plants are grown from a cutting taken from another mature cannabis plant. The cut end of the stem is dipped in rooting hormone that causes a new root system to grow. It generally takes between 1 to 3 weeks for the new root system to form and then the cloned cloned weed can be planted as normal.
What are the advantages of growing from clones?
Growing cloned weed has many advantages over growing from seeds.
- You can guarantee female plants by only planting clones of female plants. This removes the need to sex your plants and remove the males during the vegetative stage to avoid pollination and seed production. Read our article to learn more about the difference between male and female plants.
- The cloned weed you grow will be genetically identical to the plant you are cloning so you know exactly what you're going to get
- Clones begin growing at a more advanced stage than seeds which means there is a shorter growing time before harvesting
- You can use your clones to make more clones for an endless supply of fresh plants!
- Popular seed strains can be quite expensive to buy if you need fresh seed supplies for every grow so cloning can save you money!
How to grow a clone weed plant
Equipment you will need
A pair of very sharp secateurs or pruning snips.
Buy on Amazon
Rooting hormone that will encourage roots to grow from the tip of your cutting.
A humidity dome to keep your clones at the right humidity. This is optional but recommended if you live in a cool climate.
A heating mat is optional but also a good idea if you live in a cooler climate.
Grow lights. It's important that your clones aren't exposed to too much light so we recommend these T5 lights designed for growing cuttings. You can use your regular grow lights but make sure you place them at least 2 or 3 feet away from the clones.
A growth medium to plant your cuttings into. There are lots of options available:
Another great option is to use starter cubes such as rapid rooter plugs specific for cloning. These contain nutrients that encourage root growth.
This kit from Amazon is also pretty good value and contains rooting hormone, a humidity dome and rapid rooter starter plugs.
Take a cutting from a mature plant
You should take cuttings from a mature female plant at least 2 months old. Clones taken from plants in the vegetative stage of growth will root faster. You can also take cuttings from the bottom of a flowering plant but clones from flowering plants can grow in a weird way.
- Make a diagonal cut with your snips 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20 cm) from the top of the main stem or from a main (lateral) branch that is growing from the main stem.
2. Trim off the lower leaves so you have a nice clean stem and also trim off some of the bigger leaves from the top of the plant.
3. Dip the cut end of the cutting into your rooting hormone.
Rooting hormone is made from compounds (called auxins) that promote root growth and branching. It can also prevent your cloned weed from developing a fungal infection. Rooting hormone is simple to use and instructions will always be included on the container.
4. Place your cutting in a small pot that contains your chosen growth medium. If you're using starter cubes, moisten the cube and add the cutting. If you've chosen to use a humidity dome, place the clones inside. Set up your heating mat if you're using one.
How to take care of a clone
5. Aim to keep your clones at a temperature around 77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius). Clones also need a fairly humid environment. They haven't grown any roots yet so all the water they need has to be absorbed through the leaves of the cutting. This is where a humidity dome can help.
6. Give your clones water by gently spraying water mist from a spray bottle twice a day. If you're using a humidity dome, this step won't be required.
7. Only give your clones light for about 8 hours each day and make sure the lighting is not too strong. Using lights specific for growing clones is the ideal solution. You can also use your regular grow lights but make sure you position them at least 2 or 3 feet away from your delicate clones.
8. You clones should be ready to transplant into their final pots after about 3 weeks when the roots have formed. From this stage you can treat them like regular plants!
This video has a great summary of the cloning process.
Where can I get weed clones?
It's not really possible to buy weed clones online because mailing a living plant cutting has obvious issues. One option is to find someone local who will give you or sell you some clones. Another great way to get started growing weed plant clones is to first grow from seeds and then clone your own female plants when you're happy with the results! Cloning your own plants will give you an endless supply of genetically identical, reliable weed!